Git & Github usage
FreeFEM sources are publicly available on https://github.com/FreeFem/FreeFem-sources.
In order to contribute, you need to know how to use git (
push) and Github (Fork, Pull Requests).
The FreeFEM source code is organized in branches:
master. The master branch, represent the current stable version, used to build a new release
develop. The developement branch, where all modifications take place
Should be almost always usable
- features branches, where specific long-term developments take place
Do not use one of this branch
- Create a fork of the FreeFem-sources repository on your Github account
Doc: Github Fork documentation
Direct fork link: Fork link
- Clone the fork (the FreeFem-sources repository on your account) on your computer.
Change the branch to
git checkout develop
- Modify the code and use git commands to push your modifications to the fork, i.e.:
git add somefile.cpp
git commit -m"my modification"
Please, provide commit descriptions correctly describe your modifications
- Create a pull request on FreeFem/FreeFem-sources, describing your modifications
All code modifications, even in a pull request, must be done in the develop branch
Please make sure your code modification is well writen and formatted (you can use clang-format if necessary)